Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Bad Eye Infection - what I learned & my story...

For the past week I got horribly sick with a bad case of conjunctivitis. I think I caught it in work so I stayed out sick with it for the past week. I went off to the GP complaining of the pain I had and the itching I was feeling. She gave some prescription eye drops and I thought great this should sort me out. Sadly I developed an allergy to the eye drops that the GP had prescribed to me. Maxitrol just did not agree with me whatsoever and shortly after dosing myself the eye swelled. Anyway here is what I learned from the whole experience.

Conjunctivitis - also known as pink eye, as you know it can be horribly contagious too..thankfully (touch wood), my kids did not get it and I am hoping it stays that way....we use separate towels, bed linen etc. Anyway, it has two stages - starts off as a bacterial infection - which is where my eye was at when I went to the GP initially...and then it can become a viral illness pretty quickly soon after.

I am posting this video up for anyone who has it right now as a way to hopefully help you...I hope my story won't scare anyone...but if I had known about garlic powder being a natural remedy before this hit me hard and virally I would have taken it. Here is the video and I hope it helps you if you are currently down with this nasty thing.



Anyway back to my story...

Sadly in my case, I started to feel v ill v rapidly with headaches and developed some really odd symptoms I never thought I would experience. A fever I had difficulty to shake with Paracetamol, flu-like symptoms - aches in the bottom of my back then, I was all congested in my nose and went to blow my nose...and law and behold, blood clots started coming out of my nose (scary!), I even coughed up blood (I don't smoke or drink) so that really freaked me out. This then spurred me to go straight into the hospital where I was put on a drip with steroids to clear me up. This seemed to work well and I had to cleanse my eye under the shower with hot water every day for relief and well my eye was sticking together with this gritty like stuff (that is when you are v contagious BTW) on waking up in the morning - not fun...so used Brolene ointment to soften it down and make my eyelid better - which had coincidentally become red raw and looked like badly drawn eyeliner...except it wasn't!

I then developed tonsillitis in my throat which they found out through a blood test - so really bad sore throat basically as the conjunctivitis was attacking my body virally. I was put onto Augmentin and they gave me penicillin through a second IV drip. The doctor told me this was a "viral syndrome" and I simply had to ride it out. I was not prepared for the next thing that happened. I was put in a cubicle behind triage in the ER room so was  hearing all the stories coming in...when suddenly my eye bled onto the sheet!...I was like holy God...then the doctor came back and gave me a shot of steroids again which I had a reaction to and burned momentarily..he said not to be alarmed by this..I think this was the eye's way of healing but I was more worried to lose my sight so then I did an eye test and had blurred vision from the grit I could not for the life of me remove from the eyelashes...doctor said this would get better and thankfully it did. I was calling myself a minion to cheer my spirits up and nicknamed myself Scar Face lol...as I felt ugly as hell. I had the drugs don't work song on my phone as a ringtone which got a few laughs in the hospital...but yeah so off home I went and basically had to sleep it off. But I don't think you feel right for at least 2 weeks...its exhausting..and I was told I was simply run down so for anyone battling this right now. I hope you feel better. You will get your eye back - have hope!

0 comments:

Post a Comment