Thursday, October 2, 2014

Dealing with food intolerance's in toddler


My son James needs an allergy test - I have brought him to the doctor four times now. On the fourth consultation, I was finally treated properly by the doctor, up till now I was made to feel like some sort of hypochondriac and they kept to tell me they would be keeping an eye on it. I kept a food diary which has helped. Anyway he finally agreed with me and has given him a referral for a pediatrician - hurrah - result but sadly this appointment is still a few months away so I will have to now pay for this test privately! I guess some of it can be claimed back. I thankfully have health insurance and he is covered under it. I rang the hospital up and tried to forward the appointment but to no avail would they entertain this even though I have health insurance etc. We have taken gluten away from his diet - re-introduced it etc. and the doctor doesn't think he has celiac disease. He thinks he has a non-celiac gluten sensitivity. I nursed my son for two years before weaning him so the doctor thinks that has helped him...but anyway I have been giving gluten to the baby now to get him hopefully used to the taste - apparently they say you need to introduce gluten into their diets before they hit 7 months...so yes we hit the Milupa cereals up. Anyway today I stumbled on this article which says the opposite so feel free to share your thoughts and experiences below. 

Anyway since its his 3rd birthday coming up I am hoping he will love the birthday cake below which is thankfully gluten-free. He turns 3 this Saturday and adores trains, trucks, cars - anything with wheels :)



Here is a helpful leaflet I have found in terms of explaining it to kids - leaflet here - also useful to print out for that little person in your life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment